Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hyrum




I went to the Arizona State Capitol for the first time, first Saturday in November.  It was Hyrum’s nomination interview with Senator Kyl.  I enjoyed walking the grounds and watching handsome young men walk (or run trying to be exactly on time) in to the building every five minutes.  There must have been a hundred of them.  Shortly after that, Hyrum got a letter that said he was not nominated.  He also got notice from ASU that he has a scholarship (enough to cover tuition and renewable yearly) starting fall 2013.  Not having even gotten an appointment with Senator McCain, he was happy to have this back up plan of ASU and is interested in talking to the ROTC program there.   Two weeks later he had an appointment for an interview with the nominating committee from Congressman Gosar’s office in Prescott, AZ.  He took advantage of this as I let him take the car and some of his friends overnight.  They stayed with a friend, Ryan McGee that had moved there from here.  Finally this week he received a call from Congressman Paul Gosar’s office saying the letter was in the mail with a nomination for the Naval Academy!  That doesn’t mean he has been selected by the Academy, but he does now have all the requirements in and will wait to hear.  He had kind of put getting accepted into the Naval Academy out of his mind as the acceptance rate is so low at 6%.  So his future is going to be interesting.




   In the meantime he is running out of money and may be headed back to McDonald’s.  I can’t believe he’ll be 18 next month.  He has become very pleasant at home.  Just the other day he asked if I had any work he could do, preferably outside.  I said, “Sure, chop wood and turn the garden.”  He did exactly that in a short time.  He also gives me hugs when he gets home at night.  I love it!







No comments: