Saturday, December 22, 2012

Merry Christmas 2012 and Hanlon Family update


 couldn't decide what I liked best so here are two




Hanlon Family 2012 update:
   
 Isaiah:  The one who keeps his parents young.  He is enthusiastic about most things.  Isaiah tried baseball again this year.  His team won 1st place.  He earned his Arrow of Light award in cub scouts and is now an active 11-year-old scout.  He belongs to the Yeti patrol.  There are several boys his age in the neighborhood and through his invitation they have joined scouts too.  He enjoys riding his bike and he loves to read and play games - electronic and others.  His favorite is Minecraft.  He also enjoys playing pool with his dad.  I’m still forcing him to take piano lessons.  I love his smile and his hugs.

Bryan:  Bryan is an all around boy of many interests and many friends.  He was in the quartet for the high school musical, the Music Man this year and is looking forward to Hello Dolly! early in 2013.  He gave the golf team a try.  He enjoyed meeting Vocal Point members from BYU when they came here on tour.  He went on Trek with the stake.  He also went on a 50 mile backpacking trip with his Varsity Scout Team in Colorado after their New Mexico destination got burned out.  He landed a job as the youngest lifeguard at the pool for the summer.  He now has a new fan club in town of the younger generation both from swim lessons and the face painting he does with his new airbrush at football games.  He was on the Junior Varsity Soccer team this year and attended soccer camp at Dixie College.  We have a modified 5 schedule at our high school this year and he enjoys catching up on his art projects and other things (including sleep) on Fridays.  He continues taking piano lessons and loves it.  He entertained with four other teen boy pianists at Music in the Park one evening in the summer.  He plays keyboard in jazz band which meets “0” hour so he is up early on school mornings.  He also enjoys “free running,” (Google it) video games, and driving with his learner’s permit. 

Hyrum: Snowflake High School Senior, Academics are his forte as he is #3 in his class.  He has a tuition scholarship for ASU in the fall 2013 and he continues applying for scholarships. He ran track with 4:47 on the1600 meter as his personal best and 11:01 for the 3200 meter. Played varsity soccer, ranked #7 going in to state play-offs. After a full year working at McDonald’s, he ended that job so he could work YCC for the summer at Petrified Forest National Park. He also attended Tang Soo Do classes, a Korean martial art form.  He is a member of the National Honor Society and does volunteer tutoring at the intermediate school on some Fridays.  He seems to really be enjoying his senior year and once in awhile I hear him play the piano for pleasure.

   James:  2nd year philosophy student at ASU in TempeAZ. He did so well his first year they are paying his tuition this year.  He also works part time so he can eat.  He is an usher for Fine Arts events and a cashier at the bookstore during extra busy times (beginning of the semester, and Christmas).  He especially enjoyed the Japanese classes he took in HiroshimaJapan for five weeks in the summer.

Jim: Student taught at Snowflake Junior High in the spring and ended his job as a juvenile probation officer on August 31 this year.  He started teaching an 8th grade Life Skills class at Tsehootsooi Middle School in Window Rock, AZ August 1.  Window Rock is 2 hours away so he rented a small apartment from the school district and comes home on weekends.  Because we are both plenty busy the week goes by fast but the weekends go by even faster.  Jim continues serving on the Scout Committee and with the High Priest Group at church.

                Priscilla:  I’m in my fifth year at Taylor Intermediate School as a Teacher’s Aide.  (They call it a paraprofessional).  I’ve been working with ten fifth graders this year.  I continue my involvement in the community as Stake Primary President which keeps me involved in scouting.  I was quite pleased with our 4th of July flag raising program this year.  When I don’t have anything better to do I enjoy indexing at familysearch.org and listening to good music.  I also love listening to my children talk.

 Krista: Continues her work with Navajo County Sherriff’s office.  She is working days now as a transport officer, escorting inmates to court and medical appointments.  It has been good job security with benefits but she really would like to find something else.  We had the privilege of having Krista stay with us for a month.  She spoiled us and we wish she lived with us all the time.  She moved into her boyfriend’s home in Linden (just 20 or so minutes south of here).  Ryan Slone builds Family Dollar stores in Arizona and southern California.  He knows about a lot of things and enjoys guiding hunts here in the White Mountains.  He is quite the sportsman.

      Saera:  I really miss being in close proximity with Saera.  She and Daniel Tibbo have celebrated 6 years together and enjoy living and working in central Massachusetts

Desree:  married Jesse Kendall on June 30th.  He is a military police officer in the army.  They reside in military family housing at Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson (JBER) in Anchorage, Alaska.  He was injured in an accident in Afghanistan and will be released from the army in February.  They are planning a move to New York where he is from near BuffaloDesree was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2011 but seems to be doing okay for now.
                                            
Riley:  Riley had some special visitors this year. In May Roxanne and Paula came from Alaska to see him.  They helped care for him when he was an infant.  Then in August his dad, Richard, came to visit.  He loved the attention.  In September Desree came and picked up Riley.  Now I really miss this guy.  I still have some precious phone messages from him I won’t erase like the one when he lost a tooth at school.  Hopefully he feels happy in his new family setting. 

         Samantha:  I haven’t seen her this year but we enjoy talking on the phone.  She had her 5th birthday and enjoys kindergarten.  On the phone she said, “Guess what I am for Halloween, Grandma?”  I guessed, “a princess!”  She said, “How did you know?”  She really is a princess.

No comments: